Safe Sisters Fellowship program is a program created for the purpose of women human rights defenders, journalists or media workers that builds capacity to understand and respond to the digital safety challenges that they face in their work and daily life.
This opportunity brings together human rights defenders and civil society persons from across Africa for intensive training and networking while learning how to strategically employ digital tools across the spectrum of data management, content development, digital security.
- Applicants must be based in Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, and Liberia.
- Applicants work should mainly be focused on promotion and protection of human rights.
- Applicants must have high impact digital project or idea they wish to bring into the workshop and implement after the cycle of safe sisters.
- Be open to learning and experimenting digital tools and concepts.
- Proficiency in English (written, spoken and comprehension)
- Availability of five days workshop with DefendDefenders, to ensure that learning is tailored to the needs of the group.
- Support and mentorship in realizing their project vision.
- Opportunity to become members of our alumni network after they have gone through the whole cycle.
- Unlimited access to mentors, creatives, safe sister signal group, a mailing list, e-learning opportunities, and priority in subsequent events.
- Fully funding of anything related to the workshop by DefendDefenders.
- Accessible to opportunity to apply for grants for implementation of activities, following the successful completion of the fellowship programme.
Selection into the program is highly competitive. We encourage you to apply early and put your best foot forward.
- Apply here
- Selection (Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.)
- Self study
- Preparation for the workshop (If selected to attend the workshops, participants must complete several online assignments that will be assigned by the Safe Sister lead)
- The workshop The workshop will take place from the 11th – 15th July 2022 unless otherwise communicated. please contact email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mentorship: There will be mentorship and financial/technical follow up support to alumni of the fellowship.