Mpower Financing (stylized as MPOWER Financing) is a public-benefit corporation whose stated mission is to reduce the financial barriers to international education. It is based in Washington, DC, with an office in Bangalore, India. It was founded by Manu Smadja and Michael Davis.
MPower believes in education as a key to mobility but, unfortunately, millions of students struggle to get into or through school due to financial constraints and their core goal is to tackle this pervasive issue by working with investors and universities to provide an innovative and forward-looking education financing product for students from around the world.
The scholarships are awarded annually to female international/DACA students who are currently enrolled or accepted to study full-time in a STEM degree program at a program MPOWER supports in the United States or Canada.
- Grand Prize: $6,000
- Runner-Up: $2,000
- Honorable Mention: $1,000
- Be accepted at, or enrolled in, a full-time degree program at a U.S. or Canadian school that MPOWER supports.
- Must be seeking a career related in STEM
- Must be a lady
- Be an international student allowed to legally study in the U.S. or Canada, as applicable:
For study in the U.S, this means that the applicant meets one of these criteria:
- Has a valid visa that permits study in the U.S.
- Is protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- Is a U.S. permanent resident (Green Card holder)
For study in Canada, this means the applicant meets one of these criteria:
- Is a Canadian permanent resident
- Has a valid Canadian study permit