The Milken-Motsepe Prize in Green Energy 2023 is now accepting applications. The UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7: Ensuring access to cheap, dependable, sustainable, and modern energy for all—is being advanced through the Milken-Motsepe Prize in Green Energy, which rewards entrepreneurs with ideas for solutions.
The Milken-Motsepe Prize in Green Energy honors pioneers who increase Africans’ access to dependable, reasonably priced, and environmentally friendly power. Access to energy is a vital component of shared prosperity and long-term economic progress. The winning team will receive a $1 million grand prize in addition to an additional $1 million in prizes and benefits, for a total prize pool of $2 million.
Teams that take part will also have access to networking opportunities, education, and other resources.
Winning teams will demonstrate the ability to deploy distributed green energy solutions at
scale in Africa, with the goal of dramatically expanding access to reliable electricity. Teams
should make use of new technologies or should adapt existing technologies in innovative
ways to generate at least 60 kWh of off-grid electricity daily (24 hours) using green energy
- The winning team will receive a $1 million grand prize.
- In addition to the chance to win cash prizes, the Milken-Motsepe Innovation Prize
programme provides a rich set of opportunities for entrepreneurs, both during the
competition and beyond.
- Open to anyone, anywhere.
- Participants can be a single individual or a team of individuals, including formally
- Young people, including minors, are welcome and encouraged to participate. However, all
participating individuals under the legal age of majority in their primary residence must have
an adult of legal age sign legal documents on their behalf.
- Design Round: Teams submit their designs and business models. An independent panel of
expert judges will select 20 teams to advance in the competition to be semi-finalists. Each
semi-finalist team will then receive $20,000 to test their ideas.
- Semi-Finalist Round: Teams perform a real-world demonstration of their innovation and
collect data on its performance. A panel of judges will select 5 teams to receive $70,000 each
in additional funding and advance in the competition to become finalists.
- Finalist Round: Teams will submit final submissions and judges will assess and choose a
grand prize winner. The winning team will receive $1,000,000 and a runner-up will receive a
Before applying, read through the applications rules and guidelines.