Applications are being accepted for The DAAD’s In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program, which provides assistance to Sub-Saharan African students pursuing full-time master’s or doctoral degrees in their home nation or in another Sub-Saharan African nation.
The initiative encourages researcher mobility across Sub-Saharan African nations and capacity building at universities in the region.
In this initiative, master’s and doctoral scholarships are given for preselected degree programs in subjects that are relevant to development and the SDGs at preselected Sub-Saharan African universities. Students from Sub-Saharan Africa can get scholarships to study and do research in their native nation (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African nation (In-Region).
For an overview of the degree programmes and calls for application in the programme, check out the DAAD’s Scholarship Database:
In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme Sub-Saharan Africa
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (27th August – 18th September 2023)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences(1st August – 31st August 2023 )
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health(8th August – 31st August 2023)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt)(12th August – 3rd September 2023)
- University of Leipzig –Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (3rd – 24th September; Virtual Conference: 26th – 30th June, 24th – 28th July, 18th – 20th October 2023).
To be eligible for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Applicants must be an active scholarship holder of the DAAD’s In-Country / In-Region scholarship programme
- Applicants must be graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
- Applicants have to provide proof of their English proficiency, as the language of communication
- Kindly note that applying for and attending one of the summer schools must not compromise your regular study programme commitments or duration.
- You may submit an application for up to two summer schools in 2023. However, participation will be possible in only one of them.
- Please mind that participation is possible only once: If you have joined one of the In-Country / In-Region programme’s summer schools in the last years, it will not be possible to participate again in 2023.
The following benefits are available for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program:
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
In order to apply for DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Program for Sub-Saharan African students, you are hereby please informed to see the call for applications of the degree programme you wish to apply for online on the official webpage.