The DAAD supports the training of specialists from developing and recently industrialized nations through its postgraduate study programs that are development-oriented.
The sustained growth of their nations depends heavily on locally trained experts who are connected to international partners. The best assurance that there will be less poverty, greater education, and better health for everybody rests with them. The scholarships give foreign graduates with a minimum of two years of professional experience from developing and newly industrialized nations the opportunity to pursue a postgraduate or master’s degree at a state-recognized German university, or in exceptional circumstances, a doctoral degree, and to earn a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 861 euros for graduates or 1,200 euros for doctoral candidates.
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover.
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding.
- Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
- Open to graduates with at least two years’ professional experience from the following countries: list of eligible countries.
- Candidates fulfil the academic requirements and expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills).
- Candidates have a bachelor’s degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject.
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship.
Applications have only to be sent to the respective course directly! Refer to their respective websites for the application procedure (e.g. online application), for the application deadline and the documents to be submitted. Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university.
Required documents (in the following order):
- Completed and signed checklist
- DAAD application “Application for a research/study scholarship” (type your answers or make sure they are easy to read)
- A curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (use the europass template including exact information about your studies, and on practical experience
- One Letter of Motivation with detailed reference to academic, professional and personal reasons for applying for the programme.
- IMPORTANT: When applying for more than one postgraduate course (maximum 3 courses), also give detailed reasons for your choice of courses and prioritisation in the letter of motivation. Submit a uniform letter of motivation to all postgraduate degree programmes of your choice.
- [Letter of recommendation from your current employer; the letter must include official letterhead, signature and official stamp and must be of current date (not in a sealed envelope)]
- Certificate(s) of Employment from the employer(s) showing at least two years of relevant work experience after the Bachelor’s degree up to the time of application and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment from your current employer upon returning home. The certificate of employment from the current employer should, if possible, include a guarantee of re-employment after returning to the home country.
- Recent proof of Language Skills:
- English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: The institutional TOEFL is not accepted)
- German – required for courses taught in German
- Copies of your higher education degree certificates. Provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English, and make sure these are clearly legible.
- Copy of your full set of transcripts of records. Explain the grading system if this is not part of the transcript.
- Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are asked to submit an APS Certificate with their application documents.