The fellowship is a five-month mentoring programme aimed at increasing the diversity of voices covering sustainability issues and supporting early-career communications professionals who are from underrepresented communities and regions. It will be a remote placement with the successful fellow working from their home environment and with one trip to meet members of The Club of Rome team (likely in Europe).
The communications fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems thinking for non-specialist audiences through a variety of platforms including the website, multimedia and social media. The successful candidate will work directly with the communications team assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media and other communication activities.
- The fellowship offers a modest stipend towards living costs and includes work-related travel costs.
The idea candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program.
- Some experience in writing about systems thinking or sustainability research for non-specialist audiences via blogs, newspapers, university websites or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and a proven ability to understand complex scientific research or systems thinking.
- Experience with, or interest in, social media, video, photography or other multimedia.
- Alignment with the beliefs and vision of The Club of Rome.
Applicants from all countries are welcome, but priority will be given to citizens or residents of countries/regions underrepresented in sustainability communications.
To apply, email the following documents to (email protect) with the subject line: Communications Fellowship.
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic or sustainability issue aimed at a general non-specialist audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation
The application deadline is July 3, 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The fellowship is planned to run from August to December 2023.