For postdoctoral researchers from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, and Eastern Congo (Kivu) who have presented their thesis from 2017, the Fondation Maison des sciences de l’homme (FMSH) and the Institut Français de Recherche en Afrique (IFRA) of Nairobi offer a short-term fellowship of three months in France.
This research stay is intended to give scholars the opportunity to carry out research investigations in France, including fieldwork, library research, and archive study. This call is a component of the FMSH and its partners’ Atlas short-term postdoctoral mobility programme.
- Laureates will receive a monthly stipend of €1,600 (paid at the beginning of each month of stay). This financial contribution is intended to cover expenditure such as transport and accommodation costs.
- Besides, the FMSH and the IFRA provide support for visa and logistical support to organise the stay (possibility to have a workspace, letter for the libraries…).
- Open to researchers originating from Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda Eastern Congo (Kivu) (nationality is a requirement) and affiliated with an institution of higher education and research or a public or private research institute based in one of these countries.
- Applicants must have obtained their PhD doctorate and presented their thesis from 2017.
- Applicants must be involved in research in social and human sciences.
- Before submitting their application, applicants will have to find a French research institution to host them for the time of their stay. Applicants will have to provide a letter from the hosting institution addressed to the FMSH and the IFRA expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions offered.
At the end of their stay, laureates will have to provide the FMSH and the IFRA with a report presenting the work done during their stay and the benefits for their research project.
Applicants will be required to submit an online application form and a scientific dossier. Completed proposals can be uploaded to the application portal at any time before the application deadline of December 9, 2022, 17:00 (Paris time).
Online application and scientific dossier can be submitted in French or English.
Content of scientific dossier
- The research proposal (a short presentation from 10 000 characters to 20 000 characters, spaces and references included) is composed with:
- State of art, problematic, objective and specific aim of the research project, methodology
- A bibliography
- The detailed programme of the research stay (places and institutions to be visited, contacts, workplan)
- A Curriculum vitae (2 pages maximum)
- A list of publications
- A copy of the PhD diploma
- A letter from the director of the research institution in the country of origin
- A letter of invitation from the director of the host research institution in France expressing the institution’s willingness to host the applicant during the time of fellowship and explaining the work conditions they can offer