Maximum value: $2,500
Alexander Rutherford, who held the distinction of serving as both Alberta’s first premier and minister of education, is honored by the name of this scholarship. He was well-known for his ardent advocacy of public education, especially the University of Alberta, and for his prodigious activity in civic affairs.
The prize honors senior high school students’ academic excellence and motivates them to seek post-secondary education.
To receive this scholarship, you must also meet all of these eligibility criteria:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, a Permanent Resident of Canada or Protected Person under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, (Visa students are not eligible).
- Be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident the following conditions must apply:
- one parent or legal guardian must have maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the applicant commencing a program of study;
- applicant has maintained permanent residence in Alberta at least 12-months prior to commencing a program of study;
- applicant is not eligible to receive a scholarship with respect to any grade unless the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s)/legal guardian were a resident in Alberta throughout the whole of that grade.
- Have completed high school on or after September 30, 1980.
- Be enrolled in a full course load in a designated post-secondary or an apprenticeship program of at least one semester in length.
You may only be awarded the Alexander Rutherford scholarship once.
Apply once your official high school transcript marks are available and when you are enrolled in full-time post-secondary studies. Requirements for high school transcript marks will vary.
Once you have applied, you can check the status of your application on your Alberta Student Aid portal.
A student must have a minimum combined average based on five designated courses in at least one grade. Grade 10, 11 or 12 as calculated from:
- Alberta Residents
Courses/marks on an official Alberta Transcript of High School Achievement
- Completed High School Outside Alberta
Courses/marks that appear on an official high school transcript attained in another province
You may only be awarded the Alexander Rutherford scholarship once. Once your enrolment or attendance has been confirmed by your post-secondary institution, Alberta Student Aid will mail a cheque to you within one month.