The 2022 Youth Innovation Challenge (YIC) is focused on finding solutions to the problem of marine garbage and empowering people to take an active role in protecting marine habitats. They seek solutions that you can carry out independently or in collaboration with other people or businesses.
There will be 15 YIC finalists chosen, and they will gain access to the following advantages:
- A certified list of YIC finalists.
- Recognition on the websites and social media pages of GEEP, NAAEE, and other international partners.
- From the 15 YIC finalists, 3 winners will be chosen.
- Along with the above benefits, each winner will receive a $1,000 award.
- Any person from any country may apply.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30
- Your creative ideas must address the problem of marine garbage, with environmental education serving as a vital component and aligning with one of the four core areas:
- Monitoring and researching the quantity, variety, and dispersion of marine trash.
- The removal of trash from the ocean’s bottom and any floating debris
- Create usable goods from recycled and reused marine waste.
- Involving Communities in the Problem of Marine Debris.
Respond to the application question:
- Title of your solution (max 30 words)
- What is your solution? (max 500 words)
- Why do you think your solution is feasible? (max 300 words)
- What is the relevant research or evidence that informs your solution? Share a summary of your background research and include your sources. (max 300 words)
- In addition to funding, what additional partnerships, skills, or other resources would you need to implement this solution successfully? (max 150 words)
- Your Video Pitch (In 3 minutes or less, tell them about your proposed solution, max. 800 MB)
- Personal Information
How to apply for Youth Innovation Challenge?
Collaboration is strongly encouraged by the organizers. They request that only one person complete the application (perhaps the team leader or coordinator), but if possible, please note the other group members in your written responses and your video pitch. Also, ensure the submitter is between the ages of 15 and 30.
To learn how to make a strong proposal, register for the applicant webinar on July 21, 2022, at 9:00 AM U.S. Eastern Time.
The 15 YIC finalists and 3 YIC winners will be chosen by the selection panel based on the following criteria:
- Environmental education (EE) is one of the essential elements of your solution and is aligned with at least one of the key focus areas.
- Your approach is also knowledgeable, original, and workable.