Applications are now being accepted for the Women in Ocean Science University Ambassador Program 2023. A distinctive network of female and gender-identified+ university students from academic institutions throughout the world makes up the Women in Ocean Science University Ambassador Program.
The program’s goal is to assist college students in becoming emerging professionals and early-career researchers by giving them access to a worldwide community, a support network, and a secure environment. Women in Ocean Science is dedicated to developing an inclusive program and supporting ambassadors from a variety of sexual orientations, gender identities, and cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Women in Ocean Science University Ambassador Program, which currently has 65 ambassadors spread across 55 academic institutions worldwide, aims to encourage and motivate other females and female-identified+ students to pursue careers in marine science while also increasing public awareness of the mission of WOS. Each ambassador approaches the job differently, bringing about change in their particular neighborhood while simultaneously contributing to a worldwide network.
- A one-year ambassadorship, with the opportunity to apply to be a Women in Ocean Science
Ambassador in subsequent years.
- Access to all monthly professional development workshops (online)
- First access to Women in Ocean Science in-person events
- Opportunities to represent Women in Ocean Science at conferences and /or external events
as a university ambassador
- Visibility and opportunities to be featured on Women in Ocean Science social media and
- Access to the global ambassador network through the Facebook group and monthly
- Women in Ocean Science ambassadors will be asked to help create awareness of gender
issues within marine science, in addition to spreading the word on Women in Ocean Science
research, workshops and more.
- The Applicant must be a female (female-identified+) and aged 18+;
- The Applicant must be studying marine biology (they welcome applications from
undergraduate, masters and PhD students and those in both full or part-time study);
- The Applicant must complete the online application form;
- Every Ambassador must perform a monthly check-in with the WOS ambassador coordinators.
Women in Ocean Science selects marine biology students on a quarterly basis to be a part of the
ambassador programme. Applicants will submit a written application form via the Women in Ocean
Science website, and if selected, will complete a short, informal interview with our ambassador team.
Applicants will be informed of any decision via email. Note that they only accept two ambassadors per
academic institution each year.