The West African Research Center Travel Grant for 2022 is now accepting applications. The WARC Travel Grant helps African scholars and graduate students travel for study to other institutions and areas of the continent by funding their travel expenses. This fosters intra-African cooperation and interaction among researchers and institutions.
Travel grant funds may be used to:
- attend and present papers at academic conferences held on the continent of Africa.
- visit libraries or archives in Africa with resources necessary to the applicant’s academic work.
- engage in collaborative work with colleagues at another African institution.
- travel to a research site in Africa.
- The WARC Travel Grant provides travel costs up to $1,500 and a stipend of $1,500.
- Open only to West African nationals;
- Priority will be given to those affiliated with West African colleges, universities, or research institutions.
- Abstract (50-80 words) of proposed activity with a clear statement of purpose
- Project/Research description (6 double-spaced pages maximum) including why travel is necessary (must be in language understandable to non-specialist readers)
- Proposed budget
- Curriculum vitae (with research and teaching record)
- Photocopy of the applicant’s passport (must be a West African national)
- All applications must be submitted online in PDF documents
- All applicants must have a recommendation letter.
- If attending a conference:
- an abstract of the paper to be read
- letter of acceptance to the conference
- If visiting another institution:
- invitation from host institution
- If travel is to consult archives or other materials:
- a description of the collections to be consulted and their significance to the applicant’s research
- If you are a graduate student:
- letter of recommendation from professor overseeing your research