The UONGOZI Institute Youth Leadership Competition 2023 is now accepting applications. In order to give the young of Africa and the region’s future leaders a platform to participate in crucial conversations on leadership and sustainable development, the African Leadership Forum (ALF) has organized the Youth Leadership Competition.
African individuals between the ages of 18 and 25 are requested to write on their ideas on leadership in relation to a subject associated with the ALF for each competition. Dr. Jakaya Kikwete, the fourth President of the United Republic of Tanzania and the ALF Patron, and H.E. Wamkele Mene, the secretary-general of the African Continental Free Trade Area Secretariat (AfCFTA), would jointly convene the ALF the next year in Accra, Ghana.
The essays should respond to the following question: If you were an African leader, how would you
promote African intra-trade to unlock agricultural potential in Africa?
- Up to five winners will be selected. Winners will be asked to create posters to visually
describe their ideas. The posters will be showcased at the ALF.
- Winners will receive their awards at a prize giving ceremony to be held during the ALF Gala
Dinner on 23 February, 2023. The ceremony will be attended by senior leaders from across
Africa, representing public, private and third sectors.
- A grand prize of USD $2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner, and they will be asked to
read their essay at the dinner event.
- Selected winners residing outside Ghana will be required to have valid travel documents for
travel. UONGOZI Institute will cover the costs related to their travel, including visa fees, air
ticket and accommodation.
- Open to all African citizens (including the diaspora);
- Applicant must be between the age of 18 – 25;
- All essays must be typed. The minimum length is 500 words, and the maximum is 700
- The format shall be of single spaced, Arial font size 11 with page margins of 1 inch (2.54 cm)
for each margin, and sent as a Microsoft Word document.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropriateness to contest
Applicants must submit a written statement of originality and ownership of intellectual property rights.
Download a template here. The deadline for submitting entries is 23:59 (EAT) on January 10, 2023.