Qualified academics have the chance to conduct development- and/or economic-related research and take part in UNU-WIDER activities through the Visiting Scholars Program.
- UNU-WIDER provides medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER).
- A monthly stipend of EUR 3,000 as a contribution towards travel, visa, accommodation and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Visiting scholars may apply for a supplementary grant to cover high travel costs (incl. visa) if they exceed EUR 1,200 (lowest economy class fare). The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants should have a PhD degree in economics or a development-related discipline. A good publication record is an added advantage.
- Applications from suitably qualified early career, female, and developing country researchers are particularly encouraged.
They prefer applicants whose research overlaps with UNU-WIDER current research programme, but they remain open to proposals on all aspects of development.
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the Visiting Scholars Programme once each year. The deadline for submission of applications is 30 September 23:59 UTC+3.
Email of the final decision will inform selected applicants within four weeks of the closing deadline. The selected applicants must confirm their decision to take up UNU-WIDER’s offer two weeks after being contacted.