The Visiting Ph.D. Fellowship Program offers registered doctoral students the chance to use UNU-resources WIDERs and facilities for their Ph.D. dissertation or thesis research on developing economies, as well as to collaborate with their academics in a shared interest. Before departing for their home institution, visiting Ph.D. fellows often stay at UNU-WIDER for three straight months. Fellows produce one or more research articles in Helsinki and present their findings. They can get the chance to publish their work in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
Benefits of The Program
- In addition to providing a monthly stipend of EUR 1,850 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the fellowship, UNU-WIDER also offers a travel grant to cover the costs of travel to and from the location of your Ph.D. awarding institution, medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness or accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER), and travel help.
- The program doesn’t offer services or pay for costs associated with dependents. Remember that the monthly stipend only applies to stays in Helsinki and not to online time.
- Candidates should have strong quantitative or qualitative analytical abilities and speak and write English fluently.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program and possess the skills necessary to do research in emerging markets.
- Early career females and researchers from underdeveloped countries are especially encouraged to apply.
- Candidates working in other social sciences are welcome to apply, but they should be aware that UNU-WIDER is an institute with an economics concentration.
- The program is specifically designed for scholars nearing the end of their Ph.D.
Note: Only a select few fellows can be admitted into the very competitive Visiting Ph.D. Fellowship Program. One percent of all submissions in recent years have been accepted.
- You will be required to upload your curriculum vitae as your application.
- The letter of recommendation for your Ph.D. supervisor must be sent to UNU-WIDER by email at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The letter of recommendation will also prove that you have registered for a Ph.D. program at your school.
Note: Applications sent through email or postal mail are not accepted.
How to Apply?
You must complete the application form below to participate in this program.