The UBA National Essay Competition, targeted at senior secondary students in Nigeria is organized annually, as part of UBA Foundation’s education initiative which is aimed at promoting the reading culture and encouraging healthy and intellectual competition amongst secondary school students in Nigeria and across Africa.
Essay Topic: “ASUU Strikes have often cost Nigerian students time. Advise the Nigerian government on how they can reach an agreement with ASUU to improve tertiary education in the country.”
- Must be a secondary school student
- Must submit a scanned copy of your handwritten essay (750 words MAX)
- Must submit a passport photograph
- Must submit a copy of a birth certificate, National ID or Passport
- The first prize for the UBA National Essay Competition is a N5 million educational grant to any African University of their choice, while the second and third prizes are N3 million and N2.5 million in educational grants to African Universities, respectively
- Entries received for the competition will be reviewed by a distinguished panel of judges made up of professors from reputable Nigerian Universities, who will then shortlist 12 essays for further assessment
- Following this, a second round of competition will involve the 12 finalists who will write a second supervised essay from which they will select three best essays as the overall winners from the 12 finalists emerged from the first round of the competition.
- Applicant must submit their valid contact information (Name, Age, School, Address of school, Telephone Number, Residential Address, and Email Address).
- Applicants must upload a scanned copy of their original birth certificates or international passport data page.
- Applicants must upload a handwritten essay on the portal.