Writers from Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa are invited to apply to the Episodic Lab, presented by the Realness Institute in collaboration with Netflix. Applicants must have true and original stories in any genre.
From 30 April to 30 July 2023, the lab will be available online, where chosen authors will work on creating pitch documents for their tale concepts.
A narrative consultant and a creative producer will collaborate with six writers over three months in a “writers’ room” to fully develop their story concepts into an episodic proposal. The Netflix crew will provide authors with criticism in addition to creative training.
- Open to writers from Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa
- Writers with experience in either film or television
- If writers are part of a writing team, only one writer – the applicant, will be able to participate if selected
- Story Concept must be set in Kenya, Nigeria or South Africa
- The language of the story must be in English and/or a local language
- Open to all genres
- No producer/production company attachment is necessary
- A monthly stipend of 33 000 ZAR will be paid to participants to cover living expenses as they dedicate their time to the process. For the last week of the lab, writers will gather at the Coot Club in Stanford (South Africa) to pitch their incubated story to Netflix for possible further development.
- Applicants must complete the online application form at https://vp.eventival.com/realness.
- Applicants will also be required to pay a submission fee of 500 ZAR.
- Applications are open on 26 October 2022 and close on 22 December 2022 at 17:00 Central African Time (CAT).
If you have any questions about the programme or application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.