Applications are currently being accepted for the Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit in 2023. The Our Ocean Conference, which will take place in Panama from February 27 to March 1, 2023, will not be complete without the sixth Our Ocean Youth Leadership Summit. In collaboration with, Sustainable Ocean Alliance is pleased to co-host the Summit with the planners of Our Ocean Conference.
Youth participants are given the chance to be inspired, educated, and empowered by this event to develop comprehensive solutions that better balance the requirements of society, business, and the ocean environment. The Summit will be completely incorporated into the main conference in 2023 and will represent the overarching subject of “Our Ocean, Our Connection.”
- Engage young leaders as a key driver for change
- Develop technological solutions that can address the greatest threats facing our planet
- Foster intergenerational cooperation
The Summit will be a traditional hackathon-style event, where 100 young ocean leaders will convene in
small teams. With the guidance of expert mentors, they will work to solve key ocean challenges across 6
- Climate change
- Marine pollution
- Maritime security
- Marine protected areas (MPAs)
- Sustainable blue economy
- Sustainable fisheries
- Over the course of the event, these youth leaders will be provided with opportunities for experiential
learning, skill building, and networking. Programming will be delivered in English, with simultaneous
translation in Spanish.
Participants will not pay for their flights. Sustainable Ocean Alliance (SOA) and Our Ocean
Conference organizers will work with a travel agency to book flights on your behalf. The
flights will be booked directly and you will not have to pay and then get
reimbursed. Selected participants will receive an email from Our Ocean Conference
organizers on 22 December, 2022 with travel details required to book their flights.
Participants will not pay for their accommodation and will stay in the same hotel in twin or
triple rooms between February 27, 2023 to March 4, 2023.
If you require a visa to travel to Panama, they will be able to provide a visa letter. However,
they will not cover any visa-related costs.
- Applicants must be problem-solvers, sustainability champions, students, or young
professionals, and 18 to 35 years old.
- Applicants must have an interest in sustainability and contributing to solving the planet’s
greatest challenges: ocean acidification, marine pollution, habitat destruction and
overfishing to name a few.
- Applicants from all countries are eligible.
Participants will fill in an online application form and be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Background – the extent to which an applicant’s area of focus professionally or
academically is relevant to the conference themes.
- Impact – the extent to which the applicant’s idea solves a real problem in the ocean sector
and would provide overall benefits to society.
- Feasibility – how realistic is the proposed commitment/idea/solution.
- Scalability – how can the idea be scaled to new markets and/ or new industries.
- Enthusiasm – how much passion and enthusiasm is shown in the application.
- Vision – the extent to which the commitment aligns with the goals and values of Sustainable
Ocean Alliance (SOA) and Our Ocean Conference. Additionally, how forward-thinking is the
- English proficiency – applicant’s capacity to articulate an idea in English
- Leadership – applicant demonstrates strong communication skills and potential for
- Ocean Impact – the level of interest and engagement in sustainability as it pertains to
Applications close on November 23 at 11:59 PM PST, and selected participants will be notified by