A rapid prototyping lab with access to cutting-edge immersive media production facilities and technologies is part of the four-month virtual program Scale Up Immersive, which offers founders of ten (10) Black-owned media production companies who are looking to scale up and move into the immersive space industry expert consultation, workshops, case studies, and mentoring.
To increase the capacity to operate successfully in this expanding industry, diversify the talent pool in immersive media, and be prepared to access the additional funding sources for digital and immersive productions, OYA Black Arts Coalition (OBAC) and CFC Media Lab will choose at least ten Black mid-career content creators/producers.
This programme includes exposure to industry expert consultations, intensive workshops, and a group rapid prototyping with a $30,000 budget.
Participants will leave the program with:
- an understanding of the Immersive Media industry landscape
- awareness of business and financial structuring
- knowledge of workflow and integration into storytelling
- networking opportunities
- working prototype in VR/AR/XR
- Self-identify as Black, and be over the age of 18
- Be located in southern Ontario
- Be one of the following:
- Sole proprietor
- Applicant’s production company must be at least 51% Black-owned
- Be available for ALL workshop dates
Scale Up Immersive is an inclusive program, and is open to applicants regardless of disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, or socio-economic status as defined by the Equality Act. At least 60% of participants selected will be women or women-identified producer(s).
If your application is eligible, an assessor will review your application, taking into account the following criteria:
- The strengths of the applicant:
- Including (but not limited to): demonstrable passion for the industry; previous knowledge and experience in film/television/digital video production; how the participant would benefit from the aims of the course
- The likely career impact for the applicant
- How the course content matches the participants current career goals.
Note: Knowledge of and/or experience with immersive media is NOT an assessment criterion.
Fill out the application form which will include the following components:
- Company experience: Why does your company want to take part in this programme? Please describe how this programme fits with your company’s business and development plans, portfolio/artistic progression and how it represents an opportunity that your company may not otherwise have had access to. (up to 350 words)
- Participant experience: What makes you a strong candidate for this exchange? Please describe how being part of this programme fits with your career progression? Please describe your experience (if any) with producing immersive media content. Include project names, production companies or artists, and identify your involvement/role. (up to 350 words)
- Resume / CV including education and professional work experience (max. 2 pages)
- Personal Bio (Max. 300 words)
- One Letter of Recommendation from an industry professional (max 2 pages) – Optional