For visiting researchers from academic institutions in low- and lower-middle-income nations, ETH4D offers funds. The visiting scientist may come to ETH Zurich to take part in a conference or workshop that ETH Zurich researchers are hosting, perform a brief research stay at one of their chairs or laboratories, or both.
- A maximum of 10,000 CHF can be granted per visit. A detailed budget is requested, including financial contributions by the applicant, as well as the visiting scientist or their university (in cash and/or in-kind).
- Eligible to apply are ETH4D members (senior scientists belonging to an ETH4D member group are eligible as well) who are hired at ETH Zurich at least in a 50 % position. ETH Zurich scientists, who are not yet a member of ETH4D, can also apply and will become a member if they are awarded an ETH4D Visiting Scientist Grant.
- Visiting scientist must be affiliated at an institution in a country classified under the categories according to the DAC-list of the OECD. Preference will be given to “least developed”, “low-income” and “lower-middle income” countries.
- Has existing or planned research collaborations with the hosting professor.
- Proven academic qualifications.
Complete the electronic application form and upload all required documents (project description, budget, CVs).
Note that the following needs to be addressed in the project description (max. 1-2 pages):
- Research Stay
- Project description and objectives to be achieved during the research stay.
- Timeframe and work plan.
- Description of:
- added value of conducting research at ETH Zurich for individual career development of visiting scientist
- adaptation of the acquired knowledge to the local context and dissemination at the home institution
- interest of hosting professor to host this scientist, including potential follow-up activities after the stay
- Conference/Workshop attendance
- Expected benefit for the institutional relationship between ETH Zurich and the candidate’s institution.
- Relevance of the conference or workshop for the candidate’s research and career development.