The WHO Regional Office for Africa Antimicrobial Resistance Media Awards 2023 are now accepting applications. These awards are intended to reward exceptional achievements to increasing awareness about antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and supporting responsible journalism in the subject.
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is a major worldwide health hazard, and good communication is critical in treating it. The Regional AMR Champion Journalist and Media House Awards strive to recognize journalists and media organizations that have championed and exhibited excellence in AMR reporting, investigative journalism, storytelling, and advocacy.
- Regional AMR Champion Journalist Award: This award recognizes individual journalists who have made remarkable contributions to AMR journalism through their investigative reports, feature stories, opinion pieces, or other forms of media.
- Regional AMR Champion Media House Award: This award acknowledges media houses that have consistently showcased a commitment to covering AMR-related topics, promoting responsible reporting, and raising public awareness about AMR through their organizational efforts.
- A custom designed Quadripartite and Africa Union trophy/plaque will be presented to all winners accompanied by a prize.
- In addition, winners will have the opportunity to showcase their work during the 2023 World AMR Awareness Week physical continent commemoration to be held from November 18-24, 2023 in Harare, Zimbabwe (paid for trip).
- Open to journalists and media houses (Private/Commercial Radio, Community Radio, Television, Print Media, Online Media) operating within the African Region.
- Entries must have been published or broadcasted between 01 January, 2022 and 30th September, 2023.
- Submissions can include articles, news reports, TV or radio segments, documentaries, podcasts, or online multimedia content.
- Press cuttings/Jpegs which must be A4 in size.
- Slide Show Images: Include videos and images that in some way represent your entry. This shall not be used for the judging process but may be used in a slide show presentation at the Awards ceremony to educate the audience on the entries put forward.
- Fill out the official entry form available.
- Provide a brief description of the submitted work, including the title, date of publication/broadcast, and a summary explaining its impact on raising awareness about AMR.
- Submit the entry form and supporting materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th October, 2023. Include “AMR Champion Journalist Award” or “AMR Media House Award” in the subject line.