Are you interested in using space to address issues with water resources? The UNOOSA/SGAC Space4Youth Competition 2022 is now accepting applications.
The Space4Youth Essay Competition 2022 was launched by the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) and the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC). Global water shortage is a significant issue. Young people are important. UNOOSA and SGAC seek to offer kids a voice and support their ideas on how to use space for managing water resources and preserving aquatic ecosystems.
The theme for the essay that participants will submit is “Space as a tool to accelerate change in sustainable water resources management, hydrology, and the conservation of aquatic ecosystems,” although they are free to write about whatever subject they choose within that theme. By emphasizing concrete, realistic, and unique examples of how space science, technology, and its applications can inform and, or support, the delivery of actions and commitments for water management problems and adaptation of policies at local, national, regional, and/or international levels, participants will concentrate on how space can be used to tackle water challenges.
- The U.S. will support this year’s Space4Youth competition by providing the authors of the
best 3 essays with a trip to the United States to meet with representatives of the U.S. space
sector and attend an Adult Space Camp at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville,
- The 3 best essays will be uploaded on the “Space for Youth” webpage and the “Space4Water
Portal” of UNOOSA.
- The authors of the best 3 essays may be invited to attend other international events.
- The competition is open to all students and young professionals from any Member State of
the United Nations.
- All participants shall be of the age between 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th
birthday) on February 1, 2022.
- Open to individuals – no team submission is allowed.
- Competition organizers and judges are not eligible for the competition.
- The United Nations encourages all qualified applicants, regardless of gender, disability, sexual
orientation, cultural or religious backgrounds, to apply.
To apply, register through the Space for Youth Competition Form. Once registered, send the abstract to
firstname.lastname@example.org by November 24, 2022