The UNFPA is looking for applicants who can transform, inspire, and produce lasting, high-impact results. UNFPA requires interns who commit to delivering excellence in programme results and who are excellent in how they manage the resources entrusted to them. Full/Part-time: Full-time (approximately 40 hours per week) & Duration: 6 months.
The intern will assist the Digital Communications team with social media operations and content production under the direct supervision of one of the Social Media Officers. There will be agreement on a work schedule that outlines goals for the internship’s duration as well as educational opportunities. A favourable atmosphere will be created for the intern to develop her or his skills and capacity in areas connected to the mission of UNFPA and digital communications through regular progress meetings. For the duration of the internship, candidates must either reside in New York or be able to do so.
Developing social media messages and other digital content including photo and video-based human interest and knowledge-based stories. During your internship, you will also:
- Participate in creative brainstorming for social media messages and campaigns;
- Provide channel-specific ideas for the use of social media messages, videos or photo content;
- Work with the Social Media Management platform to tag content and analyse its performance;
- Support the Social Media Team in their day-to-day management of UNFPA’s global accounts and ongoing projects;
- Perform other duties as required.
Learning Elements: Upon completion of the assignment, and depending on its duration, the Intern will gain the following knowledge assets:
- Increased understanding of how large international organisations use communications, and social media in particular, to build their brand
- Understand the UNFPA mandate and policies, including regional set-up
- Understand and familiarise with communication principles and messaging
- Learn to communicate message using inclusive language
- Write and formulate channels specific Social Media content
- Understand basic project management principles
- Understand how to participate in a creative and collaborative content production process
Due to the volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party (such as an academic institution, university, government) are eligible to receive a stipend as a contribution towards living expenses.
- The stipend is based on the intern’s agreed place of work, which may be different from the duty station of the hiring office in cases of remote arrangements. The stipend is normally paid in local currency at the end of each month.
Applicants to UNFPA’s internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- A. Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
- B. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (A) and (B) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship programme and undertake the internship as part of this programme.
- Some experience in social media management or digital marketing.
- Sound knowledge of social media best practices on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and TikTok.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members from different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Experience with the creation of TikTok videos as well as Instagram Stories and Reels in a professional or personal context is an advantage.
Email your applications to “email@example.com” using the subject: Social Media Intern 2023.