The United Nations Environment Programme is issuing a call for proposals for cities interested in starting or scaling up ecosystem restoration efforts, closing on 30 June 2023 at 23:59 UTC+2 (European time).
This call for proposals is part of a global project called Generation Restoration funded by the Federal German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), which seeks to engage with eight pilot cities that will be selected for project funded catalytic grants (USD 50.000-100.000) to make the case, develop innovative policy approaches, and initiate implementation of urban ecosystem restoration and nature-based solutions implementation.
We are also looking for 5-10 role model cities to help us strengthen advocacy at global level under the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, participate in knowledge exchanges and work with pilot cities to kickstart their efforts on urban nature.
The project duration is 21 months, starting in December 2023 and ending in September 2025.
- To apply as a role model city, please express your interest by writing an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2023.
- To apply for a pilot project, please fill the project proposal and budget template (available in English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) and send them alongside a letter of support from the Mayor, City Council, Governor or equivalent to email@example.com by 30 June 2023.
- Political will and commitment to the project’s objectives until September 2025.
- Participation to 2 in-person capacity building workshops, webinars, peer-to-peer exchanges.
- Contribution to the development of tools & products to help cities accelerate ecosystem restoration.
- Governments, municipalities and their implementation partners for cities located in ODA eligible countries.
- Successful proposals must highlight the potential of implementation grants to help bring these existing efforts to scale and/or enhance ongoing initiatives.
- UNEP, FAO and ICLEI offices are not eligible.
- Implementation grants between USD 50,000 and 100,000 in total for the duration of the project (not one each year)
- Technical assistance and expert advice from ecosystem restoration experts.
- Support in developing an investment pipeline for urban nature-based solution projects.
- Matchmaking opportunities with donors, funders and wide community of experts.
- Visibility as part of the communication campaigns of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration.