The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Johns Hopkins University, Morehouse School of Medicine, and Tulane University have offered mentored research training through the UJMT Fogarty Global Health Fellowship program, funded by the Fogarty International Center within the National Institutes of Health.
This consortium brings together four top-ranked universities and their respective international research training sites in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Trainee research projects are supported by mentors with expertise in clinical, public health, laboratory, and implementation research. Each trainee works with a team of mentors, including at least one U.S. and one international member to monitor the trainee’s progress and provide on-site supervision.
UJMT funds postdoctoral researchers who are citizens of one of 16 countries where there are program affiliated research institutions. Typically, international trainees have an appointment or affiliation with the training site and local mentors.
Postdoctoral applicants (U.S. and foreign nationals):
Completion of a graduate degree —MD, PhD, DrPH, DVM, PharmD, or equivalent — by July of the academic year.
Doctoral applicants (U.S. only):
- enrolled in a graduate degree program at a U.S. or affiliated international institution
- able to defer studies over the course of the fellowship to focus on research activities
- in later stages of training (e.g., following comprehensive examinations, after clinical rotations) will be given priority.
- Full award: A 12-month full-time appointment and includes a monthly stipend, research funds, health insurance and emergency medical and evacuation insurance, and travel funds.
- Travel and research award: A 12-month full-time appointment and includes research funds, health insurance and emergency medical and evacuation insurance, and travel funds.
Regardless of their institutional affiliation, trainees will work at one of our core research sites in the following countries:
Africa: Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ghana, Malawi, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia
Asia: Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Vietnam
Americas: Bolivia, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Peru, Suriname