The Award is a Nikkei Inc.-sponsored project to celebrate Asian innovation. “Innovation from Asia” refers to any activity that promotes Asian and global transformation and helps the development of a free and prosperous economic society from an Asian perspective based on varied principles. Every year, the winner is an individual or a group responsible for a specific action. Individuals and/or groups are recognized for contributing to disciplines such as business, research, technical advancement, and social/artistic activities.
- The Award is ¥5,000,000 Japan Yen.
- Other people must nominate candidates. Applications submitted directly won’t be approved.
- Come from Asia or reside in.
- Participating in Asian-based endeavors that have their roots in Asia.
- Groups and people that are exclusively Japanese citizens shall be rejected.
- The following nations are referred to as “Asia” for the Nikkei Asia Award:
- Eastern Asia (Korean Peninsula, China, etc.)
- Asia-Pacific region (Indochina, ASEAN member countries, etc.)
- Southwestern Asia (Indian subcontinent countries)
- Countries that are independent in the Asia-Pacific region
- Nominator’s personal information
- Nominee’s personal information
- Activity Name
- Reason for Nomination
- Describe in detail what makes the candidate’s activities innovative
- Global Expansion / Social Impact: Define the social impact of the activities, the expansion of target areas, and the possibility of global development.
- Future Prospect: Describe the continuity & growth of said activities & prospects for future growth. If you have any information on financing, such as being funded by an VC or IPO or having a national research fund, let them know as far as you know.
- Nominee’s biography
- References, such as: Publication (media, academic journal, etc.) Award, Candidate’s Social Media Account or website, & more, 3. Video (press, YouTube, etc.)
Ideal Candidate’s Profile
The following are the ideal candidates:
- Young people who are currently working are welcome if their work has been recognized.
- Candidates do not need to be well-known as long as they have consistently sincere efforts to improve people’s lives and promote prosperity.
- It wouldn’t mean much if you’d already won accolades like the Kyoto Prize or the Nobel Prize.
There are 6 steps:
The Nikkei Asia Award Admin will check all the data, including recommendation remarks and candidate information supplied in the nomination form, to see if it complies with the requirements for applications and the evaluation standards.
- Primary Selection:
The Nikkei Selection Committee will assess each candidate’s actions based on the evaluation criteria. The top five people or teams will move on to the second selection round.
- Secondary Selection:
The advisory board members will assess each applicant who advances to the secondary selection based on the evaluation criteria.
- Final Selection:
Following the evaluation criteria, the selection committee chooses the finalists.
- Informal Decision:
Notify the award winners that they have won, and then get their permission to give them the prize.
- Official Announcement:
The Nikkei, the Nikkei Asia, and this website will publish the award recipients’ names.
The process of choosing the winners involves a thorough assessment of all entries that satisfy the following evaluation criteria:
- Being original and innovative
- Establishing a free and prosperous economic society by reviving the area and enhancing lives
- Consistency in activities and enterprises, as well as expectations for growth and expansion in the future
- Possessing social clout and aspirations of going worldwide.
How to submit a nomination for Nikkei Asia Award?
Nominations can be submitted through the online nomination form linked below.