MDIF Ventures is calling for applications for investment from young and growing independent media companies with positive social impact and potential to scale. Successful applicants will receive equity financing and strategic advice to help them take their business to the next level. APPLICATIONS FOR GRANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. The application deadline is 10 December 2023.
Following the success of its first investment round, MDIF Ventures is investing in a new cohort of media projects located or serving audiences in countries where access to free and independent news and information is under threat.
- Invests in countries where free and independent news and information is under threat, and exceptionally in global projects benefitting audiences in those countries
- Invests in projects addressing accountability. strengthening debate or reducing information poverty
- Targets companies along the early-stage spectrum, from pre-seed (“friends and family”/ angel) to growth/Series A rounds
- May choose to make follow-on investments in existing investees
- Builds on the successes of Digital News Ventures, which invested $3,8 million in early-stage media 2012-15, the South Africa Media Innovation Program (SAMIP) and Amplify Asia.
- Commitment to the provision of unique, credible, independent news, reducing information poverty. addressing accountability, or strengthening debate in the public interest.
- Commitment to fostering democratic practices and institutions, political pluralism, transparency, human rights, and dignity and equal rights for all. regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion and other subjects of discrimination.
- Ownership must be independent from the government or any other political or economic interests. (May be waived if the level and nature of such ownership do not put the applicant’s editorial independence in question.)
- Located in or serve an audience in countries where access to free and independent news and information is under threat. MDIF Ventures is not able to consider applications from Russia.
Applications close on December 10, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.