From the beginning of February to the end of May every year, the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study hosts a group of exceptional creative writers and scholars from different disciplines as Writing Fellows. Each Writing Fellow focuses on her/his individual project while benefiting from interacting with other Writing Fellows and from the community of scholars and writers from the universities in Johannesburg and Gauteng in general.
The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) invites applications for its Ninth Writing Semester, which will run from 1 February to 31 May 2024.
- Fellowships are open to any field of expertise, including novelists writing in indigenous languages.
- Previous fellows have included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers and journalists.
- Fellowships are open to any field of expertise, including novelists writing in indigenous languages. Previous fellows included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers and journalists. Please note that if successful, JIAS urges that you keep your scholarly commitments outside of JIAS to a minimum.
JIAS Writing Fellows enjoy a quiet space for work, reflection and academic community-building amidst the Melville Loppies of Johannesburg.
Each Writing Fellow will receive:
- Accommodation in JIAS private residential suites at JIAS;
- Daily breakfast and lunch;
- Access to the facilities of the nearby University of Johannesburg, AND
- A monthly stipend which will be taxable
- To apply, please submit a two-page proposal and a comprehensive CV at https://jias.boburg/fellowship/
- Referees should submit three letters of reference directly to before 26 September 2023
- Please note the reference letters should not be submitted by applicants themselves and incomplete applications will not be considered.