The International Eco-Hero Awards 2023 for Young Environmentalists are now accepting applications. The International Young Eco-Hero Awards were developed by the nonprofit group Action For Nature (AFN) to honor and reward young people between the ages of 8 and 16 who have taken successful individual environmental action.
Young people are urged by AFN to undertake personal environmental action initiatives. They think that young people can change how we live on the world and have a beneficial influence on the environment.
Winners will receive:
- Public recognition and media press release
- Cash prize up to $500
- Certificate of Achievement for outstanding efforts to help protect and preserve the
- Exclusive access to the Eco-Hero Alumni Facebook group
- Just as importantly, winners will serve as role models for other young people by demonstrating that each
individual can make a difference.
Open to applicants who have initiated an environmental project of their own.
Applicants must be aged 8 to 16 and no more than 16 years of age on February 28, 2023.
- The project concerns environmental health, advocacy, research or protection of the natural
- The project is action-based and self-initiated, and not one assigned by a teacher or other
- The project should be at least 6 months long and close to completion or completed within
the last year.
- If the project is an invention, some trials should be completed before applying.
Science Fair and Scouting Badge projects will only be considered if they include
environmental action, educational outreach to others or extended studies beyond the
Science Fair and Scouting Badges.
- They do not accept projects related to domestic or confined animals and compositions or
- Previous winners, immediate relatives of AFN board members, active reading panel
members, or judges, may not apply.
- Only applications in English are accepted.
Preference is given to projects of 2+ years and/or ongoing projects.
The applications will be judged according to several criteria, including but not limited to:
- length of time devoted to the project
- influencing/educating others
- use of outside resources (e.g. library, experts, media, community leaders)
- degree of success in reaching goals
- the impact on the environment
Read the Application Guidelines to see if you are eligible to apply to become a Young Eco-Hero. If you or
someone you know is eligible, encourage them to apply.
Click here to apply