The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), which was established by the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong in 2009, intends to entice the best and brightest students in the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong’s universities.
Students from all over the world have the option to study in Hong Kong’s top universities through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme, which is completely financed. Every person who is academically clever, has a history of accomplishments, and demonstrates leadership skills is eligible for the fully-funded scholarships for international students. No matter where you were born or where you currently reside, you are eligible to apply for this PhD fellowship program regardless of your racial, religious, or political affiliations. Additionally, there are no restrictions on the Hong Kong fellowships.
The Research Grants Council created the Hong Kong PhD fellowship program to entice the best minds in the world to pursue their PhDs in Hong-Kong universities. Students may submit applications to colleges on the Research Grants Council’s panel. Students who are gifted and have exceptional potential and talents, such as communication, research ability, and leadership traits, can apply to premier colleges in Hong Kong under this fully-funded fellowship. With the 300 PhD fellowships program, students have the option of attending any one of the eight institutions on the RGC’s list of accredited universities.
PhD students are given a platform through the Hong Kong fellowship grant to interact with students from other cultures. Hong Kong is also a diverse metropolis because it is situated in the center of Asia. The PhD fellows of the Research Grants Council will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of excellence, connectedness, and high-quality living. Furthermore, Hong Kong has one of the best educational systems in the world. As a result, foreign PhD fellows in the heart of Asia will have an everlasting educational experience that will help them develop personally and professionally.
The fully-funded doctorate scholarship offers PhD fellows the chance to engage in world-class research and participate in all academic programs in Asia’s World City. 300 scholarships are awarded by the fiercely competitive fellowship to students from all around the world based on their superior academic standing and interpersonal abilities. Numerous students have benefited from the scholarship program since it was introduced by RGC in 2009 and have taken part in the groundbreaking study. In every field—science, medicine, engineering, the humanities, economics, etc.—the Hong Kong Fellows have made their names known. Consequently, this international fellowship program for PhD fellows is a fantastic opportunity for them to further their education in the most effective manners.
- The Fellowship provides an annual stipend of HK$325,200 (approximately US$41,690)
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 (approximately US$1,740) per year for each awardee for a period up to three years.
- 300 PhD Fellowships will be awarded in the 2023/24 academic year
- For awardees who need more than three years to complete the PhD degree, additional support may be provided by the chosen universities. For details, please contact the universities concerned directly.
Candidates who are seeking admission as new full time PhD students in the following eight universities, irrespective of their country of origin, prior work experience and ethnic background, should be eligible to apply.
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding qualities of academic performance, research ability / potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- Eligible candidates should first make an Initial Application online through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPFSES) to obtain an HKPFS Reference Number for PhD admission to their desired universities.
- Applicants may choose up to two programmes / departments at one or two universities for PhD study under HKPFS 2023/24. They should comply with the admission requirements of their selected universities and programmes.
- As the deadlines for applications to some of the universities may immediately follow that of the Initial Application, candidates should submit initial applications as early as possible to ensure that they have sufficient time to submit applications to universities.
- Step 1: Submit Initial Application to Research Grants Council
- Step 2: Submit Full Applications to Proposed Universities
After completing an initial application, applicants should submit full applications for their selected PhD programmes to the proposed universities quoting their HKPFS Reference Number before universities’ respective deadlines. As regards programme information, requirements for PhD admission, application methods, regulations and policy of individual universities, please refer to individual universities and PhD programmes for information.