The FAO Liaison Office in Geneva and World Food Forum 2023 Photo Contest ia now open for applications.
Are you a young photographer who wants to raise awareness on climate change and agrifood systems issues and showcase efforts that youth undertake to create positive transformative change? Now is the time to submit your photographs! The contest is open for submission from 27 July 2023 until 25 September 2023.
In line with these efforts, the FAO Liaison Office in Geneva is pleased to announce the launch of its first Photo Contest. Celebrating the 2023 World Food Forum (WFF) – an independent, youth-led global network of partners facilitated and hosted by FAO to engage young people in the transformation of agrifood systems – the contest presents an exciting opportunity for youth to showcase their talent and present what sustainable agrifood systems and climate action mean for them through visual storytelling.
They are looking for pictures which demonstrate one or more of the following:
- Capture the theme of the WFF this year – “agrifood systems transformation accelerates climate action”.
- Showcase how sustainable agrifood systems can contribute to climate action, or vice versa.
- Highlight the vital roles and efforts that youth play in making our agrifood systems more sustainable.
- Exemplify the traditional and local knowledge in safeguarding the environment and the agrifood systems.
- Display community-led efforts towards practicing sustainable actions and behaviour, such as reducing food loss and waste.
- The winners will be selected by the end of September and will be contacted by email.
- They will receive a certificate of recognition signed by FAO and the World Food Forum as well as a bag of FAO merchandise that will be delivered to all winners’ current locations.
- The winning photographs will be displayed at the Palais de Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland, where thousands of multilateral meetings, conferences and events take place annually. The exhibition will be held during the World Food Day 2023 activities organized by the FAO Liaison Office in Geneva in October as well as during the Flagship Week of World Food Forum from 16 – 20 October 2023
- Entries will be judged in three age categories:
- Children (Entrants aged 11 to 15 years old),
- Youth (Entrants aged 16 to 21 years old) and
- Young Adult (Entrants aged 22 to 35 years old).
- Each Entrant can submit up to 5 photos.
- Photos should not have dates or text superimposed within the frame. All photos should be in jpeg or jpg format.
- Photos should be as high resolution as possible, with minimum pixel width 1754 pixels at 150 ppi and a maximum file size of 5 MB.
- The content of an image must not be altered (adding, moving or eliminating elements within a frame, for example, is not allowed), but basic image retouching is permitted (contrast, brightness, etc.).
- The photos should not have been taken before 1 January 2022, and the image data files should be created with still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras) and digital smartphones. Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both colour and monochrome images will be accepted. Scans of photographs taken by film cameras are not eligible.