Every year, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) helps students from developing countries study and do research in their home countries in collaboration with chosen German universities. Interested Sub-Saharan African students are invited to apply for the DAAD In-Country/In-area Scholarship for Sub-Saharan Africans (West and Central Africa or Southern African area).
The initiative aspires to establish strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa that can contribute to long-term development. Scholarships for development-related Master’s or doctorate studies are awarded to people who want to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Generally, scholarship beneficiaries will get;
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Duration of funding:
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa
- with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or
- with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme
- who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The selection process differs between the individual degree programmes. Please see the call for applications for further information.
Usually, the application procedure follows a two-step process.
- First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution.
- After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection.
- Please note that the application procedure may differ between the regions and host institutions.
- The specific application instructions regarding each host institution are listed in the respective calls for applications (see full information at the official website, link provided below).
Visit the official scholarship application page of the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme 2024 and apply through the link provided below, find the list of degree programmes funded within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.