Texas A&M University’s Program on Conflict and Development (ConDev) is taking submissions for its annual Student Media Grant Program, which allows Aggies and others to expose the human stories underlying critical global crises. This year (2023-2024), ConDev is collaborating with the Department of Hospitality, Hotel Management, and Tourism to examine the role of hospitality and tourism in conflict resolution across the world.
Participants in the program have utilized photography, interviews, and other means to capture global events highlighting the nexus of war and development since 2013. This year, we ask, “How has hospitality and tourism contributed to peacebuilding?” The Howard G. Buffett Foundation Endowed Chair on Conflict and Development at Texas A&M University funds these grants.
- The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled at any accredited university worldwide. Students graduating in 2023 are also eligible to apply.
- Those selected for the program will receive up to $5,000 to travel to any location they choose, domestic or international, as long as they secure proper approval from their university and any other relevant entities.
- Each grant winner is expected to spend a minimum of two months during 2024 engaged in and documenting through photography and associated written or verbal commentary an issue that reflects the challenges faced by fragile and conflict-affected nations through the lens of tourism and/or hospitality.
- During their experience focused on hospitality and tourism, students will be expected to:
- Demonstrate a two-month minimum engagement within their chosen problem focus through extension activities, public service, internships, student research, or other pursuits;
- Create a photo-journalism deliverables for ConDev’s social media and/or website and document their chosen subjects through photo, video, radio or some other form of media that draws attention to the role of hospitality and tourism to conflict and development issues;
- Publish or exhibit their work in a form of refereed media.
- October 1, 2023: Begin Accepting Application
- November 30, 2023 (due by 11:59 pm CST, USA time): Application Deadline
- December 2023: Review Period – please be patient as we review your incredible proposals!
- January 7-23, 2024: Notification Period
- February-May 2024 (Depending on proposal timeline): Funding Disbursement