Applications for the Board for the Headway of Science Composing (CASW) Sharon Begley Science
Revealing Honor 2023 are presently open. The honor, given every year, perceives and upholds revealing and
composing that epitomizes the elevated requirements exemplified by Sharon Begley (1956-2021), a science writer
of unfazed devotion, expertise, moral clearness, and obligation to coaching.
This grant is expected for science, wellbeing, and ecological writers whose vocations and work
exemplify the unprecedented characteristics of Sharon Begley’s news coverage, which was known for:
- depth, especially scientific depth
- writing that helps the reader understand science
- precision and care in explaining scientific evidence
- approachability, humor, and respect for the reader
- exhaustive reporting; careful, thorough sourcing
- powerful, vivid, clear, humane writing and masterful storytelling
- fearless pursuit of truth
- myth-busting and ground-breaking reporting
The Sharon Begley Award comprises a career prize, recognizing the accomplishments of a
mid-career science journalist, and a grant of at least $20,000 to enable the winner to
undertake a significant reporting project.
- Candidates must be experienced journalists who have compiled a substantial body of work
in science journalism, defined as print, audio, video, and online reporting on science,
health/medicine, environment, mathematics, and technology.
- Candidates should have been working journalists for at least 8–10 years, including significant
experience in science journalism, or provide equivalent evidence of commitment to the field.
- Time spent as an editor counts toward eligibility.
- Current CASW board members, staff, and contractors, as well as members of their
households, are ineligible. Journalists who have served on the Sharon Begley Award Advisory
- Committee become eligible three years after their service ends.
The following are components of your entry:
- Work samples
- Supporting documents
- Cover letter
- Supporting letters
- Project proposal