The British Academy Global Professorships 2023 are now accepting applications. With the Global Professorships, the Academy hopes to encourage scholars who propose ambitious, cutting-edge applications that break new ground. The Academy sees the Global Professorships as a chance to apply for high-risk, curiosity-driven research in the humanities and social sciences that will allow awardees and their UK host universities to make a significant difference in their respective research programs.
The Academy seeks proposals from historically and/or structurally disadvantaged groups, as well as female scholars.
Applicants should be intending to work in any aspect of the humanities or the social sciences. Outputs involving creative practice (e.g. musical composition and performance, visual practice, creative writing and film making) are welcome but will be considered to fall within the British Academy’s remit only when they form part of an integrated project of critical or historical significance.
- The Academy will provide up to £900,000 per award.
- Awards are expected to run for four years each from a starting date to be agreed with the British Academy. The starting date must not be before March 1, 2024 – September 30, 2024.
- Grants are available to mid-career and senior researchers in any discipline within the humanities and social sciences (recognised in their field or with exceptional promise) who are currently employed outside the United Kingdom, on a permanent contract (which may be part-time or full-time) or, if temporary, would normally be a contract that will not end during the course of the grant unless expressly agreed with the Academy prior to the application being submitted that such an application would be considered eligible.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (or have equivalent research experience).
- Applicants must be available to take up an unpaid leave of absence, a long-term secondment or employment at an eligible UK institution. If this is unclear from an applicant’s national setting, then the Academy welcomes communication with applicants prior to applications being submitted. Eligible institutions include but are not limited to the British International Research Institutes.
- Awards are only available to individuals, to be held in an institutional context. Co-applicants are not permitted.
- Awards will not be made retrospectively: this means that the work for which support is requested must not have commenced before the award is announced. Applications must be for new research ideas that are coherent on their own and are cutting-edge.
- Applicants are required to provide a formal statement of support from a senior member of their proposed host institution in the UK (normally expected to be a Pro-Vice-Chancellor or equivalent, or at minimum Head of Department/Faculty/Institute).
- Candidates should be based outside the UK at the time of application. Applicants who are working outside the UK but are employed primarily by a UK institution are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have been in contact with their UK host institution prior to the application. Please note that the British Academy is not able to assist with locating or facilitating contact with UK host institutions.
- Duplicate applications for the same purpose to more than one British Academy funding programme will not be accepted.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s Grant Management System, Flexi-Grant®.
Application and head of department statements deadline and current UK host institution approval deadline: Wednesday 1 November 2023 (17:00 GMT)