“Environmental racism and contamination of any community deprive [its] residents of the basic right to live in a clean, healthy, and safe environment. This is a right that is inherent to all human beings, yet many are deprived due to their income, race, or ethnicity.” — Catherine Coleman Flowers, founder, of the Center for Rural Enterprise and Environmental Justice
An open call for feature-length documentaries and short films (nonfiction or narrative) that are currently in pre-production, production, or post-production is made by BPM every year. Each initiative should be appropriate for distribution through public media. BPM 2023 Open Call will emphasize climate stories. Awards will be announced in December 2023.
about the open call theme and the submission process. Participation in these sessions is free and open to the public, but registration is required.
Black Public Media enlists the support of an independent review panel of media professionals across the industry. The panel reviews the proposals in a two-tier review process. Applicants will be notified as their project advances to the next stage. Below are some of the guidelines used by the panel:
- Project Idea and Story: Does the treatment provide a clear description of the narrative arc and filmic approach? Does the proposal express a deep and clear understanding of the subject matter? Is/Are the theme(s) well developed? Are the characters or subjects well drawn? Is there an original and creative approach to the subject matter in terms of form, structure, and content?
- Production Readiness: We seek projects that can be completed within 18 months of receiving funds. Has the applicant presented a project idea and production timeline that is realistic?
- Production Team: Does the production team have the experience necessary to complete the proposed project? Are one or more key creative positions (producer, director, writer, editor) held by people of color?
- Project Budget: Can a quality program be completed with the proposed project budget? Does it match the needs of the project, (i.e., production design, locations, archival, etc.)? Is there evidence of confirmed or pending funds and/or a clear and concrete fundraising plan? Is it realistic? Does the fundraising plan complement the timeline for expected completion (18 months)?
- Work Sample: Is there evidence of strong storytelling (i.e., the narrative arc is clear and compelling)? Does the work sample show sound interviewing techniques, compelling characters, and visual or audio aesthetics? Does the work sample effectively support the stated treatment and approach? If a past work has been submitted, is it an indicator of success for the proposed project?
- Visit the apply link / click on the “Apply Now” button.
- Register to create a new account
- Complete all the information cells as instructed