Proposals are invited for the Amazon Sustainability Research Awards 2023. The Amazon Sustainability works to make Amazon the most environmentally and socially responsible place to buy or sell goods and services. They conduct research to map, model, and measure the end-to-end environmental and social impact of the company and vet sustainability topics that will have the greatest future impact to Amazon to inform business planning and resilience.
They develop and test strategies that support revenue growth while reducing negative environmental and social impact. They work with the external science community to drive their mission goals. They accelerate sustainability practices at Amazon by guiding critical decision makers with crisp recommendations backed by scientific rigor. They remove ambiguity around sustainability and provide them scientifically credible concepts, reports, data, and tools that they can use to make informed decisions.
They welcome proposals in the following research tracks:
- Machine learning applications for Life Cycle Assessment
- Supply chain analytics
- Data-driven sustainable product design and manufacturing
- Climate risk assessment
- Advanced biofuels
Selected Principal Investigators (Pls) may receive the following:
- Unrestricted funds, no more than $50,000 to $100,000 USD on average
- AWS Promotional Credits up to $40,000 USD
- Training resources, including AWS tutorials and hands-on sessions with Amazon scientists and engineers
Awards are structured as one-year unrestricted gifts. The budget should include a list of expected costs specified in USD and should not include administrative overhead costs. The final award amount will be determined by the awards panel.
To be eligible for an ARA Program award, the Principal Investigator must be:
- Either a full-time faculty member at an accredited academic institution or a permanent researcher at a non-governmental organization with recognized legal status in their respective country (equivalent to 501(c)(3) status under the United States Internal Revenue Code) and
- At or above the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of application. Each Principal Investigator is permitted to submit only one proposal to the ARA Program per call for proposal period.
Sustainability will make the funding decisions based on the potential impact to the research community. and quality of the scientific content.
Proposals should be prepared according to the proposal template, In addition, to submit a proposal for this CFP also include the following information:
- List the open-source tools you plan to contribute to.
- List the AWS ML tools you will use.