Launched in 2017, the Allianz Climate Risk Award celebrates scientists at the start of their career whose work sheds light on the nexus between climate change and extreme weather events. The award is open to PhD candidates and Post-Doctoral researchers whose research focuses on: Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change; Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
Allianz promises to give confidence in tomorrow. They deeply believe that people progress in life when they don’t brace themselves for the worst but prepare for the best.
The Allianz Group is one of the leading integrated financial services providers worldwide. With around 159,000 employees worldwide, the Allianz Group serves 122 mn customers* in more than 70 countries. On the insurance side, Allianz is the market leader in the German market and has a strong international presence. In fiscal year 2022 the Allianz Group achieved total revenues of approximately 153 bn euros. Allianz is one of the world’s largest asset managers, with third-party assets of 1,635 bn euros under management at year end.
The internal purpose of the company is: To secure their customers’ future. Since 1890, all around the globe, Allianz has been working hard to secure people’s lives and to give courage to their customers for what’s ahead. They are a diverse group of professionals, including actuaries, advisors, and service agents. Among them are engineers, lawyers, and technology experts, each contributing their unique skills and expertise. They encompass various roles such as daughters and sons, mothers and fathers, accountants, investors, and entrepreneurs, collectively shaping their industry’s landscape.
Recognizing the significance of a fair partner offering solid and sustainable solutions, Allianz remains dedicated to doing things right with unwavering passion every day. Their commitment to excellence drives them to provide the best possible services to their clients and stakeholders, earning them a reputable position within their industry.
- Ten candidates are shortlisted by a jury and their work is published in a Compendium.
- Out of the 10, three are invited to Munich, Germany, to present their research at an awards ceremony.
- The finalists all receive funding to support their research.
- For the 3 candidates invited to Munich, Allianz Reinsurance will cover: all travel/flight costs to and from Munich (arrival: one day before the event, departure: afternoon/evening on the same day of the event), transportation costs, hotel costs, one dinner and one lunch costs.
- University students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research applicable to focus and topic of award
- The selection criteria includes:
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodolog
- Core of the application is a brief (max. 800 words) non-technical essay that outlines the candidates current research idea and highlights central findings.
- Supporting documents consist of:
- Two-page non-technical essay based on their research
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor
- Filled and signed declaration form
- Completed application form
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)
- A jury of experts, drawn from industry and academic, select the recipients
- Application form, signed declaration form, essay based on research and letter of recommendation must be sent by the deadline
- To submit the application, send the filled out and signed forms as well as the required supporting documents (essay, CV, reference letter) to email@example.com.