The 7th African World Heritage Youth Forum 2023 is now accepting applications. The 7th African World Heritage Youth Forum will bring together African young leaders to exchange their ideas, experiences, and solutions for addressing climate change concerns.
The Forum will help to build a strong network of young leaders who are committed to Climate Action and the conservation of World Heritage properties for the benefit of present and future generations by empowering youth to play a leading role in conservation efforts and fostering cross-cultural dialogue and collaboration.
The 7th edition of the African World Heritage Youth Forum will be held under the theme “Engaging African Youth in Climate Action for World Heritage Conservation,” with an online phase taking place from October 23-28, 2023, followed by an in-person meeting in Cairo, Egypt, from November 20-24, 2023.
The Forum aims to empower the youth to develop tools to communicate effectively the impacts of climate change and implications of actions on World Heritage properties to various audiences, including policymakers, civil society, the private sector and local communities with subsequent benefits for conservation and management of World Heritage properties in Africa.
- Increased awareness and better understanding of the impacts of climate change on World Heritage properties in Africa;
- Adoption of African Youth Declaration expressing aspirations of the youth and a road map guiding youth Climate Action for World Heritage Conservation in Africa;
- Enhanced cross-cultural dialogue and collaboration among African youth to find solutions and take collective climate action towards conservation and protection of World Heritage; and
- Increased visibility of the role of African youth in Climate Action for the protection and promotion of Africa’s heritage through extensive media coverage (national and international) and presentation of results at international platforms, such as the 45 sessions of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.
Format of the Forum:
The Forum will comprise three main distinct but interconnected phases. The first phase will be an online session focusing on the theoretical background concerning the general frameworks for World Heritage conservation and Climate Action in Africa. The first phase will result in the development of proposals by participants concerning climate heritage initiatives to improve the state of conservation of World Heritage in Africa.
In the second phase, the participants will engage in hands-on activities, group discussions and guided visits to a World Heritage site in Egypt (Historic Cairo). During this five-day gathering, participants will finalize and present (pitch) their Climate Action projects as part of the official closing ceremony of the Forum. The third and last phase of the Forum will consist of follow-up on implementation of the projects through engagement of various stakeholders and partners.
- Open to African citizen between the ages of 18 and 35 years old at the time of application;
- Minimum of a post-secondary certified training and/or qualification;
- Fluency in English (being the working language of the Forum);
- Personal attributes: motivated, active and driven individuals interested in World Heritage and Climate Action eager to implement the outcomes of the Forum in their home countries.
- Professional attributes:
- Active leader/champion of Climate Action in Africa;
- Engaged in conservation and promotion of Africa’s heritage (natural and cultural); and
- Acquainted with and active users of digital mediums and platforms of communication such as social media (YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram), websites, blogs, video conferencing (Zoom, MS Teams), etc.
- African regional representation and gender balance will be prioritized.
Each applicant should submit the following application package:
- The completed application form online;
- Video of statement of interest (45 seconds); and
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum 4 pages) outlining the applicant’s current position, qualifications, areas of expertise, work experience in the field of cultural and/or natural heritage (including World Heritage), climate actions, publications/reports, etc.
The application package should be submitted through the African World Heritage Fund portal by no later than September 29, 2023.