The Emerging Health Technologies Media Award honors journalists each year who have contributed to the reporting on emerging health technologies (EHT) by writing and publishing articles on the topic.
In order to facilitate discussions about developing and utilizing cutting-edge tools and technologies to address significant health issues in Sub-Saharan Africa, the African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) established the Health Tech Platform, a platform for dialogue and action on health technologies in Africa. Each year, journalists who have written and published pieces on the subject of emerging health technologies (EHT) are recognized with the Emerging Health Technologies Media Award.
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) announces a call for entries for the second edition of the Emerging Health Technologies (EHTs) Media Award of Excellence through the Platform for Dialogue and Action on Health Technologies in Africa (Health Tech Platform). The EHTs Media Award is given annually to journalists who, through superior media coverage, help raise public knowledge and comprehension of EHTs and put them on African governments’ agendas.
The EHTs Media Award’s goals are to support high-quality reporting on emerging health technologies being created for use in Africa as well as to increase local ownership of these technologies and public understanding and participation in their development. The award is focused on cutting-edge medical innovations that the African Union has identified as having the greatest potential to alter the course of disease and health in Africa. Drones, microgrids, artificial intelligence, gene editing, and next-generation medicine are among the technologies mentioned. Gene drives and monoclonal antibodies for the prevention of malaria are also included.
An independent judging committee will select the best works based on well-investigated stories referencing multiple sources of scientific evidence and expert views, initiative, originality, clarity of interpretation, and value in fostering a better public understanding of emerging health technologies. The winners will be announced in December 2023.
- EHTs Media Award Grand Prize: USD5,000
- EHTs Media Award Print Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1, 000
- EHTs Media Award Radio Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- EHTs Media Award Television Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- EHTs Media Award Online Category: USD2,500; Runner-up USD1,000
- The EHTs Media Award is open to published and broadcasted works in print, radio, television, and online media.
- The award is open to African journalists publishing in African-led and African-based media houses.
- The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organizations.
- The period of publication/broadcast of entries for this call is media stories published between 1 November 2022 and 30 August 2023.
- The entries should address EHT development issues relevant to Africa, such as ongoing research, regulatory frameworks needed to guide this work, community participation, public awareness and understanding, involvement of African scientists, and equity and benefit sharing.
- Stories may cover issues applicable to one African country or be regional in scope
Individuals may submit three entries per category published during the above period to be eligible for the award.
The categories are as follows:
- Print journalism: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in a newspaper, magazine, journal, or newsletter.
- Radio journalism: Documentary or discussion program between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Television journalism: Documentary or discussion program between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Online/new media: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words, audio/visual documentary or discussion program between 5 and 45 minutes. This must be published in an online-only newspaper, magazine, journal, or media house.
- Link to the published article/program for online entries
- PDF attachment for entries in the Print Category
- Copies of the TV or radio files, stating the date and time the program aired.
- Copy of identification
- Submitted files should not exceed 15MB
Entries should be submitted to the AFIDEP secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org, copying Pauline.Soy@afidep.org and Adaudo.Anyiam-Osigwe@afidep.org. Please note that communication with the organizers is in English.